Monday, February 20, 2017

9.349 Being VIP

I forgot to blog about the first time the Mister and I experienced the Cineplex VIP treatment!

sometext
Since our birthdays are so close to each other, we always celebrate them in a 2-in-1 event/weekend. I thought it would be a great idea to finally go see what the Cineplex VIP was all about. We could combine dinner and a movie in one! We used one of the free upgrade coupons my cousin gave us for Christmas and bought the second seat for full price. It's pretty darn expensive so our expectations of the experience were pretty high. To start, we were greeted by the doorman. Holy cow... they have a doorman.

sometext
I wanted us to go see LaLa Land since it won so many Golden Globe Awards. It's a romantic musical comedy-drama film and I thought it'd be more romantic and fitting to watch for our first VIP experience.

sometext
sometext
We came there about a half an hour early to see what the "lounge" was about. It was pretty empty but I noticed it was way more packed and busy in the evening when we were leaving the theatre (we had an early show- 3:50pm).

sometext
sometext
We were given the menu to view so we know our options before heading into the theatre to order.

sometext
Before heading in, we both visited the washroom. The washrooms were unisex and were really nice. There were probably about 7 washrooms and they were all stand-alone's. The lever for the toilet was even different. It wasn't your normal handle or button, it was embedded into the wall and was a flush button panel of some sort. It looked quite fancy- like something out of a hotel.

sometext
The seats inside were incredible. It felt like I was sitting on a comfy armchair! What was great was how much distance there was between other strangers and you. The seats we were sitting in were in pairs. So the lady was far enough from me that I didn't care what she thought of us (see story below). The seats also came with a small pull out tray to put your food on.

sometext
This was my portion (minus the beer- it was his).

sometext
Closer look at my burger and sweet potato fries (my fave!).

sometext
And this was the Mister's. Obviously, we took this experience more seriously than everyone else. I think we ordered enough food for 3 people haha. But honestly, I don't think it was too bad. We ordered an appetizer: calamari (because you know I just have to try it), our two mains: Chipotle Chicken Club Wrap and Classic Quarter Pound Burger, a pitcher for the Mister and water for me, and lastly dessert: Churros. People around us constantly gave us stares. There was this white couple beside me and another white lady beside the Mister. I could see the lady beside me whispering to her husband when the server came with the food. Hey, don't judge me for taking advantage of their food service while you order popcorn and a couple of drinks.

sometext
The food was SO GOOD. I wasn't expecting much but it tasted like something straight out of an actual restaurant. The churros however were meh. They were a bit overcooked so they were a bit hard. The Mister and I will definitely do VIP again soon. Despite the rudeness from the white people beside us on either side, it was quite an experience. Sorry guys, don't mean to sound racist, but everyone we observed in that theatre were white. There was not a single minority present except us. I guess white people are just more willing to spend. This is not the first place I've noticed this. I noticed this at the ballet and especially when we went to The Shore Club.

It's places and moments like this that make us want to strive to be more successful so that we can have fancy business dinners and events to attend. It may be a weird thought but it would make me feel proud if one day the Mister and I are able to attend functions or frequent these places on our own just because.

sometext
Luckily I was able to take the weekend and spend it with the Mister to celebrate our birthdays. I say "luckily" because I otherwise would have been forced by my company to partake in a Chinese New Year event that took place on the same weekend we would celebrate. I had the argument that had to do the other event (IDS) the next weekend so it would be unfair for them to make me go to two events while other people are not expected to do the same. I did end up helping the day before to set up.

sometext
My nails for Chinese New Year. I tried to do some dripping crystals- definitely needs work.

Dinner at Swiss Chalet with the Mister and his cousin. We also shared a dessert.

sometext
This is me dumping most of my clothes on my bed to sort out which one to keep and which one to toss. I ended up donating 3 bags of clothes and junk from my room. It not only felt good to let go, it felt really good to give someone the chance to make use of things I don't want anymore.

sometext
I already used up one bar, gave one to my mom, and now I'm using the last one. I'm not a fan of bar soaps, but these ones smelled so good and looked so pretty that I couldn't say no.

sometext
I got this Calvin Klein sheet set because it looked pretty and felt nice. In one of Lisa's videos, she also mentioned that her mom liked these CK sheets. I thought it was a no brainer, but I am here to report, don't get them. The fabric is so thin that after a couple times you sleep on it, it looks like it's been used for years. It literally looks like it'll fall apart anytime now. I'm so disappointed in the quality. Not sure if they have different lines, but this one looked pretty good in the packaging when I bought it. Don't waste your money!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle

No comments: