Tuesday, October 4, 2016

8.331 Summer Recap (Part III) - Centre Island & CNE 2016

sometext
Work today was absolutely exhausting. I felt like my brain was going to explode by the time work was over. I just came back from the gym and it feels so good to work off all that negative energy. I can multi-task and I'm really good with time management... except when I'm on someone else's schedule juggling to do different things without given the time to finish a single damn thing. UGH! Makes my blood boil. I feel so bad when I've accomplished nothing after doing a million things at once.

Anyway, today I felt like blogging so that I can feel like I've at least accomplished something today. It's time to tackle the last leg of my Summer posts because Fall is totally here! I also have a pending huge haul that I have to share with you guys- things I've accumulated over the Summer months and some Fall shopping- but more on that later.

sometext
This Summer we finally managed to head over to the Toronto Centre Islands. We wanted to go last year but plans kept getting in the way. Buying tickets online for the ferry is a total must. We bypassed the massive lines (probably a 40+ minute wait) and breezed our way through the express line.

sometext
It's quite calming being on the water once you eliminate the chatter from people. I hope one day the Mister and I can eat dinner on an evening cruise. Even better, go on a week long cruise... omg.

sometext
sometext
sometext
I haven't been to the Centre Islands since University (I went to a concert/event hosted by my school). Before that, the last time I was here was when I was a little kid.

sometext
sometext
It was so hot out that day so we grabbed an Oreo ice cream sandwich to cool down.

sometext
Looks like heaven on earth. Perfect weather for picture taking. I wish I had brought my DSLR.

sometext
sometext
We decided to have some fun and rent out the two seater bicycle for half an hour. It was a pretty popular attraction so we had to wait 20 minutes before we got a cart.

sometext
sometext
While riding, we spotted the beautiful Toronto skyline peeping through among the trees.

I barely remember the island. I just remember the cool miniature trains and buildings in the Centreville Theme Park and the sky ride (which we didn't get to see this time around).

We also saw the little farm area. I feel bad for caged up animals... but I would be lying if I said I don't enjoy looking at them- especially the ducks wiggling their butt while they eat.

sometext
sometext
And just like that, the day was over. Until next year Centre Island!

sometext
sometext
Of course every year we have to go to the Canadian National Exhibition (CNE). We took the GO Train so we'd save time and it'd get us there faster.

sometext
sometext
This year was a bit disappointing though. The shows weren't that great, the international pavilions were lacking a lot, and even the sand sculptures were a bit dull.

The skating show was subpar and so was the aerial acrobatics.

sometext
sometext
I enjoyed the light show though! It looked so cool. Wish I could recreate this in my room.

sometext
The other cool thing was the light-up costumes a couple of the skaters at the end were wearing. It was a nice element of surprise.

sometext
This year I got my curly fries! I don't know if you remember, but last year I couldn't get any curly fries because they sold out.

sometext
You guys, this blue raspberry flavoured lemonade is so addicting- I swear. Just take my money Lemon Heaven... just take it!

As you can see, there weren't many sand sculptures this year. They also aren't as intricate as some other ones I've seen in the past.

sometext
I picked up a couple air plants at the same booth that introduced me to air plants last year.

And, as per our tradition, the Mister bought me a wooden rose. This time I got the peach coloured one.

sometext
Like I said, the International booths were a bit of a bore. There lacked variety in the countries present this year.

sometext
I always get tempted by this British goods stand... but I never know what is good to get.

sometext
Saw the whimsical Sandhill kiosk again. The decor they sell is perfect for the cottage or backyard sanctuary. This time I didn't pick up anything though.

sometext
We headed over to Bowring and I finally found something to buy (not that I needed to buy anything but it's great when you come across a bargain especially at a place like CNE). I've always wanted to own Spiegelau glasses... but they were much too pricey for me. It's the reason why I got Riedel red wine glasses because you can easily find them at Winners for a discounted price. I've seen them sold for $60-$80 in retail stores! I honestly couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the $23.99 price tag and you pay no tax!! Just my luck!! What a steal! So glad I never bought them at full price.

sometext
These glasses are super high quality, delicate and super lightweight.

sometext
I got myself 2 sets of the white wine glasses, a glass water jug, and a set of champagne glasses.

sometext
I also picked up this adorable sugar bowl and creamer. I have a vision in my head for a breakfast in bed set. I thought these fit perfectly within that vision. I've bought a lot of kitchen stuff over the past year but I haven't shared any of them because I won't be using them until I move out. What's the point of showing you if I can't tell you if it's good or not, right?

sometext
The Super Dog show was not that interesting this year either. There wasn't any one dog that stood out and the theme of the show wasn't that great.

sometext
sometext
sometext
But everyone knows you go to the CNE for the food. As you can see, we didn't feel very adventurous this year.

sometext
sometext
Until next year CNE & Summer!

"Life is simple, but we insist on making it complicated." -Confucius

2 comments:

helen said...

I saw the skating show and superdogs too! I love how they named the dogs after musicians. Lady Gaga was definitely my favourite hahaa..

Did they stop carrying deep fried butter? I didn't see any this year and was so disappointed :( I basically went to CNE just for that lol

Natalie said...

@helen Those crazy foods always sound so interesting but for some reason I never go for them haha. Most of the time I'm turned off by the huge lines.