Saturday, January 30, 2016

7.314 Here I Go Again

sometext
For New Years, the Mister and I decided that we were finally going to spend it downtown. We've been meaning to do it for the past couple of years but plans always seemed to fall through. Since we owned a car now, it was much easier to commit to this year. The last and only time I spent New Years downtown was back in 2012 with my sister and cousin. When it was over we said we'd never do it again. But here I was, doing it again. I wanted the Mister to experience what it was like at least once in his life.

sometext
Ho Jan Chinese Restaurant
45 Carlton St, Toronto, ON M5B 2A1

Before heading down to City Hall, we grabbed a bite to eat at Ho Jan Chinese Restaurant because I saw that they had all day dim sum which was what I was craving.

sometext
We ordered the Wonton Soup, Dim Sum combo which came with a spring roll, Siu Mai, Har Cow, BBQ Pork Bun, Sticky Rice wrapped in Lotus leaf with minced Pork, and Hot and Sour Soup (pictured with the Wonton Soup). I was disappointed that they didn't have the Cheung Fun which are rice rolls with sweet soy sauce. That's my favourite dim sum food! The Siu Mai and Har Cow were good though, and the Hot and Sour Soup was especially yummy. The rest was just ok, not a total fan of the dim sum combo to be honest.

We also ordered the Honey Garlic Chicken Wings and House Fried Dumplings. These were also very tasty.

sometext
Overall the food was good and the service was good too. It's a typical Chinese restaurant so obviously I don't expect a great ambience. If we ever come here again, we'd for sure try the more traditional Chinese menu foods. We came here looking for Dim Sum but I don't believe this is what this restaurant is known for.

Overall: Ambience C+, Food A-, Service A-, Price B.     {Stars: 3/5}

sometext
sometext
sometext
City Hall looked so magical with skating rink, lights, and the addition of the Toronto sign from the Pan Am games. I hope the government changes their mind about moving the sign because it's perfect just where it is.

sometext
sometext
I just love festive Christmas lights! The words cozy, warm, and cheer come to mind.

sometext
So... spending New Years downtown Toronto wasn't exactly what I remembered it being like. There were no performers this time. I looked up the reason why online and learned that it was because CityNews wasn't hosting. So basically this year they called it a "Toronto's Largest Skating and Dance Party"- which was a bit of a fail because the DJs they had were pretty much crap. They kept playing the same songs and their beats weren't even great. I think the funniest part was when people were trying to jam but there were kids in the crowd so it was kind awkward. I would never bring my kids to a crowded place like that, that's just a no-no.

sometext
The fireworks were cool but nothing compared to when CityNews hosted. They lit their fireworks with a bang!

sometext
I learned from the year I went with my cousin and sister to never go to the main entrance by Queen Street. Just go off to the side under the bridge instead!

sometext
The crowd was chaotic. Cars were literally stuck in place because they couldn't move. It looked like something out of a zombie movie, us being the zombies. I wish I could of captured in photo how crazy it was.

sometext
During the holidays, my sister was dog-sitting for a friend. It's the same dog that she dog-sat before!

sometext
This time I walked him a few times when she couldn't.

sometext
I was in the park one day and let him off the leash because he could use the extra exercise of running back and forth. There was a moment when I was afraid he might run off, but I was 99% confident he wouldn't, otherwise I wouldn't have let him off the leash. He was pretty happy to be free and on his own.

sometext
Here we are one evening by a school. It's less scary to be in empty places like this when you have a dog.

sometext
A couple times I also bought him some Cesar Canine Cuisine. This particular one was Top Sirloin. He whipped up the whole thing in a matter of minutes.

sometext
sometext
sometext
He met Kirby but they don't even care for one another. At one point Kirby starting chewing on Porsche's (dog) fur thinking it was carpet or something. You think that between the two, you'd need to protect Kirby, but it's the other way around. In the end I had to take Kirby away lol.

sometext
I brought him along with me one time to drop the Mister off at his home. It was less lonely with him there on the way back.

sometext
sometext
sometext
Here is the first snowfall and the first time my car has been in snow. I don't have winter tires, the ones I have are all-season tires but they have pretty good traction. We were planning on buying winter tires next year but I guess we don't have to!

sometext
sometext
Driving during winter makes the car so filthy. I like to go to the $2 do-it-yourself car washes every week to wash the salt off.

Before.

After.

sometext
Bought this crappy "absorbent" towel for $1. It claimed that it could dry a whole car with one sheet. Never again.

"Dare to be different. The world is full of the ordinary." -Unknown

2 comments:

Mana said...

Congratulations on your job promotion! I love the boots you bought and the comment about the absorbent sheet for your car killed me. I think Kirby is adorable btw.

Natalie said...

@Mana Thank you! Kirby is really loveable, isn't he? Thanks for visiting!