Wednesday, April 8, 2015

7.275 Back Down to Earth

Hello! I hope everyone had a great Easter and long weekend! I knew beforehand that I wouldn't be allotted a long Easter weekend, so I took it upon myself to take 2 personal days (Friday and Monday) the week before to enjoy a super long weekend. I was going to blog about that in this post, but then I thought about two videos that I wanted to share with you. Since I've been blogging a lot about my outings, food, and things I've bought recently, I thought it'd be nice to take a break from LaLa Land and come back down to earth.

I don't know if you guys remember, but back in December I donated and blogged about Dancember- Judy and Benji's yearly charity campaign. Last year they raised money and awareness for Rescue:Freedom, a non-profit organization that rescues and restores victims of human trafficking (specifically sexual slavery). Sexual slavery is a form of human trafficking that I'm more aware of. But there are other forms of human trafficking that I'm not that familiar with. My sister shared a moving video on Facebook and it really opened up my eyes to how easily human trafficking can happen. It can happen to anyone. The best way to help prevent IT and stay safe, is to learn and know what IT is.


"Human trafficking is modern day slavery." As obvious as that line is, it really resonated with me. We are aware that slavery happened in the past and how it happens overseas, but do we ever think about how it's happening in our own country? For Canada: The True North strong and free? For USA: O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave? Freedom has been stripped away for some, and others have never even had it at all. It's happening, right now. It's happening everyday and it needs to stop. I've always felt strongly about this issue so I will henceforth have a small banner on my side dedicated to it. Spread the word and don't forget the issue just because it's out of sight, out of mind.

The other video I wanted to share with you is one that my younger sister shared with me. It's about a woman and her passion for dolls and how she recycles the ones people donate. The interesting part about her story is that she transforms these dolls into normal dolls that everybody would want their kids to play with. Her doll creations are called Tree Change Dolls.



The toy industry sexualizes dolls which further contributes to the hypersexualization of children. The maker of Tree Change Dolls didn't intentionally make these dolls to make a statement... but her dolls did spark up a lot of conversation surrounding the issue. I too think this is an important issue. What we need is normal dolls for children to play and relate to!

p.s. I noticed that some of my pictures are not showing up via browsing with Chrome. When I open my blog up in Safari, everything is fine. I hope this gets fixed soon.

"It's easy to solve a problem that everyone sees, but it's hard to solve a problem that almost no one sees." -Tony Fadell

No comments: