Monday, January 26, 2015

6.259 Gilmore Addiction

It's been almost a month since I've started watching the Gilmore Girls and I'm already on Season 5. Yes people, I'm crazy. That explains why I haven't been watching my usual youtube videos, such as lisalisad1, itsjudyslife, and all the endless beauty channels I'm subscribed to. It is also the reason why I haven't been blogging either. I have eye bags and many hours dedicated to sitting in bed staring at the screen to prove it. Sorry my sweets, but I am officially addicted and need to finish the series to continue on with the life I had before this addiction came about.

Gilmore Girls is fantastic. The show is about a remarkable relationship between a single mother and her daughter, and follows them through their everyday lives, going on to explore many social issues that many people face in the real world. **Spoilers to come. Please feel to free to skip this post if you haven't watched the show and want to watch it.** 

I love how they explore the unique relationship between Lorelai (mother) and Rory (daughter). Lorelai had Rory when she was only 16 and had to overcome a lot of discrimination and hardships to raise such an incredibly smart, bright, and humble young lady. Lorelai doesn't have a good relationship with her parents because they're very conservative and at times unbearable. Despite their differences, Lorelai's parents mean well and want a relationship with Lorelai and their granddaughter Rory. Throughout the show you can see how their relationship evolves, and you have a nice perspective of both sides for a better understanding of the madness behind it all.

The show also focuses heavily on Rory's school life, which I find very inspiring. I wish I was raised to be obsessed about a potential University and had a cork board decked out with paraphernalia of said school. As a student, you're told that you're suppose to go on to college or university, so it was pretty much a given- more of a direction than a specific goal. But to create an actual goal, something to formulate in your head, something to work towards, now that would have inspired me a lot. I also liked how Rory was encouraged to do what she felt was right and go to Yale even though Harvard was the school she's been dreaming of all her life. I liked how the show explored issues relating to sticking to the "books" and expectations. If I could go back, I would have stayed an extra year in high school. I didn't at the time though because I felt it wasn't right in the "books". I was set on the standard four years in high school because I was afraid of how I would look, after all, most people I knew were graduating. Looking back, it was totally silly and I should have done what I felt was right.

Boyfriend related issues were also extensively explored throughout the series. The typical problems were present which included dealing with jealousy, cheating, breakups, extramarital affairs, and pregnancy. But then there were the small things that really stood out to me. When Rory was with Dean, the most perfect boyfriend she could ever ask for, she met Jess who connected with her on a different level due to high compatibilities in the interests and hobbies department. Although a troubled teen, Jess was into the same books and music, and understood all of Rory's pop culture references; Dean, on the other hand, didn't. When Rory eventually leaves Dean for Jess, that's when I realized that having common interests isn't everything. Jess was always unpredictable and unreliable, whereas Dean was always helpful, supportive, and there for Rory when she needed him. I realized that even though Dean and Rory didn't have as much in common, it was the fact that Dean accepted her for who she was and would show care and interest in her hobbies that made him the perfect boyfriend. On a side note, I came across this webpage which talks about how having common interests isn't a means for compatibility.

Oh, and did I mention how Rory is an introvert? I can totally relate. Parties, drinking, clubs, social gatherings... totally not my thing either. I really liked the episode when the headmaster of Chilton, Rory's high school, was concerned about Rory's social skills and ability to have friends. Although she likes to keep to herself, she does socialize on occasion and does have friends back at home that the headmaster does not see in school. The point being is, hey, just because a girl likes to be alone at lunch to eat and read her book doesn't mean that there's something seriously wrong with her. You don't see the whole picture and that was a good lesson in that episode.

Overall the show is amazing. I will miss it when it ends but I look forward to having my life back haha. Until then.

"If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present." -Lao Tzu

2 comments:

Leenda said...

I've always loved watching Gilmore Girls. My sister and I own the entire collection and we rewatch it from time to time. lol

Natalie said...

@Leenda I am very tempted to get my hands on the series too! There's something about owning the dvds versus just watching it online. Perhaps someday I'll get it but for now I'm still working on my Big Bang Theory collection :)