Wednesday, July 30, 2014

6.228 St. Lawrence Market

sometext
I haven't been to the St. Lawrence Market since I was a little girl. I remember going on a school field trip and remembering it a little differently to how it is now. Maybe I was smaller and so the place seemed bigger? Or perhaps things really have changed since then. In any case, it wasn't as an exciting of a place to go to as I had hoped haha. I think it would have been more fun if I had researched the history and background of the food stalls prior to going there. The Mister and I were kind of walking around aimlessly not knowing which was a good place to explore and buy from. This was on July 12th.

sometext
But first before heading downtown to the market, the Mister and I stopped by Pho Dau Bo (fave pho restaurant) to eat some grub before we went on our day. He got the usual Pho Tai Bo Vien (Rare Beef & Beef Balls Rice Noodle Soup) with extra beef balls on the side and I got the Bun Bo Hue ("Hue" Style Beef & Pork Jelly with Vermicelli in Spicy Soup). Of course we can't forget about our Avocado Shakes. Although their pho is the best, their Bun Bo Hue isn't as good as the one at Bun Saigon located downtown.

sometext
When we got downtown and was walking towards the St. Lawrence Market, we passed this nice little green space. I really appreciated how much shade there was. That's great for hot sizzling sunny days.

sometext
St. Lawrence Hall which was built in 1850. It looks more grand in person.

sometext
And here we are! Honestly I couldn't take a lot of pictures (or nice ones) because it was so crowded that day.

sometext
One of my missions was to buy a loaf of good bread... but the ones I wanted were all sold out!

sometext
sometext
The next thing I was looking for was some good quality cheese. I found some good French Brie with Truffle (Double Cream) here at this stall called Scheffler's.

sometext
Bought a couple of juicy plums and fresh grapes here at Ponesse Foods.

sometext
We explored Placewares which had a ton of kitchenware.

sometext
I ended up buying two long spoons which will be useful for taller cups.

sometext
sometext
Then we went downstairs and I grabbed some mint chocolate chips that I've been trying to find since Christmas from this bulk food store! My younger sister made a gingerbread house with her friends during the holidays and I couldn't get enough of these mint chocolate chips. I kept picking them off of the roof and trees day by day until they were all gone LOL.

sometext
Surprisingly we stumbled across Freshly Squeezed downstairs. I got the usual, Taro Bubble Tea. Yum ^^

sometext
And we finished off with some delicious Napolean from this Bakery on the main floor. Napolean is one of my favourite desserts alongside Tiramisu and Creme Brulee.

sometext
After the St. Lawrence Market, we ended up at the Loblaws downtown. I came here for bread since I couldn't find any that I wanted at the market.

sometext
I also found the same jam I saw at one of the food stalls at St. Lawrence Market. I was looking for a specialty jam but couldn't find any ones that I liked. So I ended up buying regular jam here at Loblaws haha.

sometext
My loot for the day. Calabrese bread and raspberry jam from Loblaws. Plums, grapes, and brie cheese from the St. Lawrence Market.

sometext
Both brie cheese and jam are products of France. You know how much I love French anything ;)

sometext
The brie cheese on bread was delectable. Very creamy and full of flavour.

sometext
sometext
After the day was done and we were hungry, we thought we'd keep it simple and get a pizza. Only $5 for a medium pepperoni. I would have liked mushroom and bell peppers on it too, oh, and make it a pizza from Pizza Hut! But $5 to feed us both was a good deal. We also bought pop and my favourite apple pie.

One more lifestyle blog post to catch up on and a couple haul posts to come :)) Also, the Montreal trip is finalized!! I handed in my vacation form and we already booked our hotel and train tickets from before. 12 more days to go! I'm busy planning, getting things organized, putting together my list etc etc. I want to blog about the preparations for my first trip so I have to get a move on with my blog posts!!

"Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back." -Babe Ruth

1 comment:

IchigoBunnie said...

yay for vacation! have fun :)

St.Lawrence looks really nice. Wish I had some nice architecture where I live but I don't lol.

and gosh that Napoleon looks SO GOOD. I absolutely love Napoleon and Creme Brulee. Though I'm not too much of a fan of Tiramisu