Thursday, March 6, 2014

6.200 Society's Idea of the Good Life

Too often do I get asked about what I'm currently doing, what I plan on doing, and why my answers don't reflect the ideal path of what they call "the good life". That is to, go to school, get a degree, land a job in my field, and make some good money (that's as far as it goes for now; although I'm sure the whole "when are you going to get married?" and "when are you having kids?" will come soon enough). I did half of what I've been told all my life which was to go to University (there was extreme emphasis on University and not College) and I got my degree. In fact, that $20,000 diploma is currently hanging proudly on my wall, while I, am currently working my butt off trying to pay for that fine piece of paper.

sometext
So then the next question begs to ask, "Why are you working at a factory when you have a University degree?"And that, my friends, comes down to two things: convenience and fear. It's very convenient for me to work at this workplace right now because it's close to my home and what I do is relatively easy. It's not good money but it doesn't require much to do the job. Fear you ask? Given that I never grew up with a great support system, I've been led down the path of fear. The fear of trying and the fear of failing; because failing was never an option for me. But all successors know that the path to success is to have tried many attempts before one reaches their goal.

If I could go back in time and be able to give my young self a piece of advice I would say, drown out the outside noise and listen to what your inner voice tells you. Do what you feel you must do, not what others are telling you to do. The conventional path is not always for everyone, and if it turns out that it is for you, at least give some time to really think about it and plan out your vision. You're very young and you still have your whole life ahead of you. You're not running out of time and you don't need to feel like you have to try to keep up with everyone else. You won't get left behind, I promise. Just make sure you know what you want and go for it.

Ironically, even though I went to school and got my degree, I still feel like I got left behind and that I've failed. But you know what? It's okay. And I'm okay. I'm okay with my situation right now. I'm not saying I'm thrilled but I'm okay. And I want those who judge me to know that I'm okay. Because that's what matters right? If I'm okay?

So in the end, society's idea of the good life didn't work out so well for me. But when I think about how I'm employed, how I have a roof over my head (not to mention my own room), that I have a boyfriend who loves me, and the support of my two closest people- my cousin and sister, I remember that I don't need to live how society wants me to to have a good life. I have a pretty darn good one, if I do say so myself, and it could only get better from here.

p.s. I do have plans working at this factory though so it's not all for nothing.

p.p.s. This marks my 200th post!!

"Choose a job you love and you will never have to work a day in your life." -Confucius