Wednesday, February 13, 2013

4.125 A Little Pep Talk

It feels like it has been a while since I've sat down to gather my thoughts on what's been going on in my life. Right now, my life feels very boring and uninspiring. This could be a result of getting fixed into a routine schedule coupled with the winter blues. It also probably explains why I keep wanting to go to the mall every weekend to buy nice things for myself. My poor wallet.

On the home front, I've been desperately trying to overcome my overthinking. I've fallen back to the bad old days when I couldn't help but care about what others around me are thinking and saying. Logically I acknowledge that everyone has their own opinions and that nothing I ever do will please everyone. There will be misunderstandings, different experiences brought to the table, and you can count that there's at least one person who will believe that their way is the only way. Yet, I'm having a hard time stopping all these voices from affecting me. It is seriously detrimental to my core self to the point of not knowing what to think anymore. Maybe I need to build stronger beliefs and values. Maybe that way, it'd be much harder for someone to come along and knock me down.

Stop caring so much Nat. Stop thinking so hard and getting caught up in the small things. Let your inner voice be your guide, not your enemy. Everyone will have something to say about who you are, what you do, and the choices you make in life. In essence, people will tell you exactly what they think is best for you and completely disregard how YOU feel about the choices you've made. Just brush it off, take a deep breath, and remember the 10 Lessons Everyone Learns in Their 20s (especially #5 and #9). And if that doesn't help, remember the false-consensus effect. Some people just have this odd tendency to assume that what they want is what others want.

As for worrying about whether people like you or not... who the hell cares. This isn't middle school or high school. And since you've been through this before, you already know that eventually those people won't even matter. They have no significant value in your life, never did, and never will.

p.s. I broke my promise of sharing what I got myself for my birthday. Sorry! I'll share soon!

"You can be the nicest person in the world, and still have enemies." -Unknown