Saturday, January 19, 2013

4.120 Why I'll Never Buy Gorjana Jewelry Again

You might recall me saying that I would share what I got from Gorjana's Cyber Monday sale once I found the time to do so. I came to know about Gorjana through one of their web advertisements. I was immediately mesmerized with their jewelry, everything looked so beautiful and well made. After browsing through their collections, one particular piece stood out to me, and that was the Taner Bar Small Necklace. For months I eyed the necklace but didn't take the plunge due to the high shipping rate of $15.00 to Canada. I think $15 is a bit much for something that is so light. So when their Cyber Monday deal of free worldwide shipping and 40% off your order came around, you bet I jumped on the band wagon. Not only did I buy the Taner Bar necklace, I impulsively bought a bracelet too. I couldn't resist the "good deal".

sometextAnd yet, with all that said, it all goes downhill from here... When my order came in the mail, I wasn't home to accept it so I had to go to the postal office to pick it up. The big unpleasant surprise was finding that I was being charged COD- which stands for Cash on Delivery. Taken from Canada Post's site: "Collect on Delivery is a domestic service option purchased by senders that allows them to collect an amount from receivers upon delivery. We collect the payment before handing over the parcel, and send it securely to the sender on the receiver’s behalf." Although the site does state that as a buyer I am responsible for any custom charges my country may have... being charged $27 didn't seem to be a custom charge... at least, that's not what I'm getting from the above definition of COD. Nowhere on the site nor anywhere in my invoice/confirmation did it state that I would be charged this. Despite being super pissed that I was being charged $27 on top of the $97 (already 40% off discounted price) for two pieces of jewelry, I paid anyway because I had been waiting for so long to get my hands on some Gorjana pieces.

It came in a box wrapped in paper tissue. This was the actual box the jewelry is stored in. Very nice and sturdy-well made.

sometext
Inside the box were little pouches that the jewelry is kept in. The little pouches felt really soft- again, this gave me hope that my money was well spent.

sometext
The first item was my beloved Taner Bar Necklace (small) that I've been eyeing for months. I wanted it because I thought that a piece like this laying across my decollete would be so beautiful. It would give a touch of elegance, plus it looked beautiful on the celebrities I saw wearing it.

However... don't be fooled. I was fooled by the photo on Gorjana's website. I am completely disappointed with the necklace. The gold is an awful cheap yellow gold colour- something reminiscent of those cheap jewelry you get out of those coin toy dispensers for $1. And although I do enjoy jewelry when it's lightweight, this necklace is too lightweight- it doesn't even feel like it was made with quality at all. I expect more for something that retails for $60- hell, I wouldn't even pay a cent if I knew it was this bad.

sometext
The other item (the impulse buy) was this Cassia bracelet. This retails for $95 (yes, nine-five). It looks beautiful though right? I thought so too, especially the picture they had of it on their website; but in person it looks awful, complete garbage.

In pictures the bracelet looks like it would have some good weight to it, but in reality, it's too light and feels so cheap (even if you don't factor in the $95 cost). I just couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it in person. I was astounded at how cheap the bracelet looked. And guess what?! I LOST THE BRACELET after ONE wear! The bracelet hook/toggle was so poorly constructed that it kept getting undone when I wore it. I should have took it off and put it in my bag until I could figure out a way to wear it without it coming undone... but I was determined to wear it because I spent a good chunk of money on it (with 40% off I spent about $57 on it). What a waste!

Before losing the bracelet, I contacted Gorjana and got my money back for the $27 COD that they charged me with. This is what they had to say about the COD charge: "It seems that Canada Post has suddenly been charging packages that have a declared value over $20. If you can provide a receipt from the COD charge, we will reimburse you that fee." I don't know how true that is, but honestly, through the hassle of contacting them to get reimbursed and the poor quality of their jewelry, it's safe to say, I'm left extremely disappointed with Gorjana. Update: I wore the necklace once and have kept it in the dust bag since then, yet it still ended up tarnishing on me.

Their jewelry "looks" beautiful but looks can be deceiving, and in case, they are. I can only speak on behalf of the two pieces I got, but even if two pieces like this couldn't meet my standards, then I doubt their other pieces could be any better. Given the high price point, poor quality and terrible customer service, I'm completely unimpressed. I don't plan to ever buy from them again and wouldn't recommend you do either.

"If you really want to do something, you will find a way. If you don't, you will find an excuse." -Jim Rohn

15 comments:

LittoMokaa said...

I'm really sorry to hear that you had a bad experience with this company. As of the COD part, I honestly don't think that Canada Post will charge you an extra 27$ without letting you know. Plus, I don't think they have the right to collect anything from you unless the sender mentions it.

I hope you'll find your bracelet!

Jenny W. said...

Wow what a bummer :( That really stinks. I can't believe how cheap the jewelry is and how much they charge! I guess thats the downfall of purchasing items online. I'm glad you at least got your $27 back!

mizzsandychau said...

aww hun, sorry you had such a horrible experience!
they really do look pretty but i guess that's pictures for you.
omg loosing it in only one wear, i'd be devastated, especially the price you paid for it.
i guess jewellery is best to be bought in person, in store

IchigoBunnie said...

gah what a shame! that's ridiculous that the jewelry is cheap and that's unfortunate you lost the bracelet due to the shoddy craftsmanship. so sorry that happened!

missmicchan said...

Oh no...sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have seen one other blogger mention this brand and how they loved the jewelry, but after hearing your experience, makes me think twice about it. Thanks for posting it!

kashif mughal said...

Fantastic post i really like this post.

lifestyle jewelry in Canada

Anonymous said...

I bought the same necklace and had the exact same reaction. SO cheap looking! It was very lightweight, you're right, though that didn't bother me nearly as much as the awful, bright shiny yellow gold. What a disappointment.

impulsively said...

Thanks for your review. I also live in Canada and have been wondering if it was worth buying stuff from Gorjana. Your review confirmed my suspicion that the photos on the online shop would be far nicer than the actual products themselves...

Natalie said...

@Impulsively You're welcome. I was determined to let other know about my personal experience with the brand because it was hard finding an honest review at the time I was purchasing.

Jessie said...

Thank you for this!! So many bloggers promoting her jewelry (which is so beautiful in pictures), but this is the first honest review I have read! Its too bad the pieces aren't better quality :/

Natalie said...

@Jessie It is my pleasure. I wanted to share my experiences and I'm glad that this post has helped others out there.

Gillian Spence said...

I just got my $50 gorjana necklace in the mail and couldn't believe the bright orange gold and how much it looked like I picked it up at the swap meet. I was wondering if it was just me but came across your post and so happy to see someone else felt the same way!

Natalie said...

@Gillian I'm so sorry you got the same experience as me. I thought that at least by now they would have improved their merchandise, but I guess not! :(

Apple Ate said...

I know this comment is much after the original post but I had to share my awful experience. I too live in Canada and I am a subscriber to fabfitfun, a seasonal subscription box from the US. In the winter 2016 box, I received a cheap looking and ill-fitting double chain necklace that is too ugly to wear and a $20 certificate for Gorjana, so decided to use it since it was part of my paid subscription cost and not just a freebee. I ordered a $45 necklace with hopes the company would redeem itself. What a mistake. After I ordered through the site, I got a confirmation email but never received an email with an invoice or shipping information. I emailed their customer service twice asking for these. Now, 7 weeks after the order, I am informed that, surprise, there is a parcel with a COD at a shipping location for me to pick up with the charge for $27. I order frequently from the US, and if there is ever a charge for duty, they will hold it at the border until it is paid. This charge is from Gorjana before they even shipped; a charge they do not inform you will happen. The company will not answer emails. I am not impressed and planning to thoroughly look into my credit card charges tonight to see how much they charged me in total. Once I find out how much they have me in for, I will determine if it is even worth paying the $27 COD to get the item. I would recommend shopping at Ardene over ordering from Gorjana, not even kidding

Nat said...

@Apple Ate Thank you for sharing your story. I'm so sorry you had to go through with that. I'm sure your story will help others out there tempted to buy some jewelry from Gorjana. I posted this back in 2013 and I can't believe people are still experiencing the same crap I did 4 years ago!