Wednesday, August 15, 2012

4.88 Spoiled + Mint

It has started my friends. My first payment to repay back my student loans was due last month July. From here on out for the next few years, hopefully much less, I will slowly be hacking away at my debt as many other graduates have done before me. Some months, if my salary allows for it, I will try to pay back more than what is needed so that I can minimize the interest and amount I owe as much as possible. Thankfully I didn't borrow as much, so it won't be as hard for me to pay back as it may for others. I'm planning on going back to school in the future so I don't want my debt to get out of control. Welcome to the real world Nat, where bills have to be paid and budgeting becomes the key to a happy stable future.


To help with my budgeting, I signed up with Mint.com at the start of this year in January. It was one of my New Years Resolutions after finishing school to get a handle of my finances. I thought it would be easy at first, but it's actually really hard! There were many fails and lots of trial and error, but I'm finally getting the hang of it. If you need assistance with your budgeting, I suggest you give the site a try. I find it very useful and I'm glad I signed up for it. Oh and the best part? It's free!

Taken from the site: "At Mint, we believe money is for living. So we make everything
simple and streamlined. Sign up takes less than five minutes. Then Mint automatically pulls all your financial information into one place, so you can finally get the entire picture. Set a budget, track your goals and do more with your money, for free!"


They've received awards and they have 7 million users. It's safe and I fully trust it, afterall, "we use 128-bit SSL encryption–the same security that banks use–and all data is protected and validated by VeriSign and TRUSTe. Plus, since Mint is read-only, no money can be moved in or out of any account."

With all this talk of budgeting, and as a reminder to my future self in case I look back in dismay with my spending habits, let me remind you Natalie, the reasons why you have money leftover to splurge:

1. You can afford it. You currently have a full-time job and it beats minimum wage.
2. You don't party, which means you don't waste money on empty calories.
3. You currently don't have much time to go out so you also save money on transportation, food, and entertainment.
4. You cut back in other ways such as having a prepaid phone plan which costs you only $5 a month for light texting.
5. And most importantly, you have no boyfriend, which means more money to spoil on yourself =D

Ahahaha! I love the last one because it's so true. I've never been spoiled outside of a relationship, and even then it wasn't as if I was spoiled that much. I am the only person who has spoiled myself as much as I have? I think of it as a happy investment, because if not me, who else right?

Anyway, my apologies for not blogging these past couple of weeks. I've sort of been preoccupied which is why I'm behind with blogging, watching youtube videos (my watch playlist has 200+ videos)- heck I've even neglecting cleaning my side of the room- my place is a mess! I'll try my best to ease myself into blogging mode again. I rather wish I was disciplined enough to have a set schedule to blog on a certain day, much like how Lisa does her Friday Haul videos, it'd give you guys something to look forward to. But alas, I have failed miserably in the past trying to keep up every week. Rather pathetic isn't it?

I'm not sure if I mentioned that I've been trying to pick up reading again? Well I have, and I sincerely hope you've noticed that my writing has improved. It's reminiscent of how I used to write when I was still in school. All those essays and assignments always kept me in line, but after I finished my degree, there was nothing to hold me to that level anymore. Books can do wonders, don't they?

I don't want to create false hope... but I do plan on sharing a load of stuff I've recently acquired from shopping trips and from my online shopping addiction. Please don't think I'm crazy haha. I know deep down I am, but as a reminder, just remember the points I stated above.

I've spoiled myself. I've spoiled myself real good.

"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." -Abraham Lincoln