Monday, July 2, 2012

4.74 Grad Dinner - Guu Izakaya

I haven't had a food post in so long. Enjoy this now because I'm not sure when I'll have another one for you guys. I have recipes to share but it's such a hassle to edit and everything =\

On the same day of my convocation, my sisters decided to me to Guu Izakaya for dinner since I've never been and have always wanted to go. You bet I was excited.

Guu Izakaya
398 Church Street, Toronto, ON M5B 2A2

Taken from the site: "Guu is the izakaya pioneer with the Japanese spirit in Canada. Started serving locals in Vancouver, they have reached Five locations in Vancouver, two locations in Toronto, and one in Sichuan, China today. Other than serving authentic izakaya food/drink, their warm and energetic loud greeting to patrons is one of their characters. Shout with us, 'Guu is Guuu'd!'

This first Guu in Toronto was established in the end of 2009 with a stable pride as Izakaya. The long line up in bone chilling heavily snowing nights became a legend."

We arrived just before it got really busy.

Their menu looked very appealing. Kudos to the person who designed the menu.

We also ordered a few dishes off what was recommeded off this little menu that was tacked onto the bar.

To start, I got the "Cassis Nama Orange" drink (fresh orange juice, cassis, soda) from their Summer Cocktail menu. I'm not a fan of alcohol drinks and was actually planning to get something boring like soda... but my sisters insisted that I get something alcoholic since we were celebrating haha. We thought it be best if I started with something that wasn't heavy and didn't include strong ingredients such as vodka and sake.

Truthfully, I want to get used to the taste of alcohol so that I can at least have the option to drink if I wanted to. It would be nice to be able to drink sophisticated drinks such as wine, champagne, cocktails... etc.

My sisters got Bamboo (melon liqueur, white wine, lychee juice, soda) from their original cocktail menu, and Shonan Blue "Yokohama Style" (sake, blue curacao, pineapple juice, lemon) from their summer cocktail menu.

From their Rice and Noodle menu section- Unagi Doria (bbq water eel on mixed mushrooms rice with cheese on top).

From their Grilled menu section- BBQ Pork (bbq style pork with yuzu honey soy sauce).

From their Grill menu section- Scallop and Enoki Mushroom (pan fried bacon wrapped scallop and enoki mushroom with soy sauce and karashi mayo).

From their Rice and Noodle menu section- Kinoko Bibimbap (rice, mushroom, and cheese with seaweed sauce in sizzling stone bowl).

From their Cold Dishes menu section- Gyu Carpaccio (seared beef sashimi with ponzu, wasabi mayo, and garlic chips).

From their Deep Fried menu section- Takoyaki (deep fried octopus balls with tonkatsu sauce and karashi mayo).

From their Grilled menu section- Kakimayo (baked B.C. oyster with mushrooms, spinach and garlic mayo topped with cheese).

The food was really good although pricey. Like many people have proclaimed already, Guu is best for the experience. The servers and chefs were very friendly and full of energy. This dinner experience was a gift from one of my sisters which I couldn't be more thankful for as I've always wanted to try Guu out ever since hearing so much about the place. While I got a delicious meal from one of my sisters, my other sister decided to turn to a place she knows I love: Sephora.

I was there when she got this for me haha, but she said she wouldn't give it to me until my grad day actually came around. I found it by my laptop in the morning of my graduation day and it came complete with a note from her =) I've been wanting to collect all the Sugar lip treatments ever since they started coming out with different flavours.

To my surprise, it was pretty pigmented for a lip balm as I didn't expect that. The top swatch is one swipe and the second is 2-3 swipes. It's like one of the Revlon lip butters but obviously superior in moisture and texture. It makes my pigmented lips pop like crazy- as if I was wearing lipstick than a lip balm! I love it.

So that was my adventure excitement for a while. After this it was back to a normal boring work schedule with breaks of shopping trips in between hehe. I wish it was easier for me to access yummy food places around where I live just by walking out the door. Too bad it's not like Asia. It would be nice to have night markets and late night food stands. Late night munchies for the win.

Oh and I finally put my diploma in the frame I bought. I'm not hanging it up though until I get my own room some day.

"Today is the oldest you've ever been and the youngest you'll ever be again." -Unknown

1 comment:

missmicchan said...

congratulations once again :)
Guu is too expensive :s I'm going to try out the new place DonDon izakaya, but I've got a feeling that the price is probably very similar :s