Tuesday, May 22, 2012

4.58 Challenge Accepted

It's the third week into my job and boy have I learned a few things. During the first day of work I experienced carpel tunnel because I worked myself too hard. It wasn't until I got home and looked up why my thumb, index, and middle finger on my right hand felt numb did I realize it was indeed carpel tunnel. I literally couldn't feel anything with those fingers for a few days (it was scary but thankfully I'm fine now). From this, I realize how much we take the simple things in life for granted. It's not until we lose them do we begin to really appreciate them. The whole situation also made me realize how important it is to keep in mind how easy it is to develop carpel tunnel or any workplace injury in general. Now even when I'm at home I make sure my wrist are at the right level when I'm on my laptop. It's the small things that can accumulate to create a bigger problem, so make sure you're keeping this in mind too!

The workplace environment I work in is also very chilly and cold to preserve the fruits and veggies. Because of this, I've also had to pay attention to keeping my skin (not just my face) moisturized. If you know me, you'd know that I'm horrible at using body lotions. But now I use body lotion every time I get out of the shower to absorb and retain as much moisture as I can. I've also had to pay attention to applying a liberal amount of hand cream since I experienced dry cuticles. After relying on Google to diagnose my symptoms again, I learned that when your cuticles are damaged (dry and peels away from your nail), bacteria can get in which creates that minor pain just on the crevice of the side of your nail. I've always thought that keeping it moisturized would be enough, but I read that you can counter the pain by just applying antibiotic cream. The second I applied the antibiotic cream = instant relief.

Another challenge I face, which is something I also experience outside the workplace, is the fact that people perceive me as innocent and vulnerable- in other words incapable. This makes people feel like they need to "protect" me. Although I can see how this can be advantageous during the caveman era... it's not very reassuring in this day and age when people think I'm a total weakling. It's partly the reason why I'm careful with being too girly when it comes to my style, other than actually liking wearing badass pieces anyway. But at the same time, it's not my fault that people perceive me this way. I know how strong I am inside, it's just something people don't know about me just by looking at me.

I have to learn to not be so hard on myself when it comes to feeling conceited when I have a gut feeling that someone likes me. I've learned to trust my gut instincts, so I should definitely stop doubting myself. Although being an interest to males may be something other females would love... I find it particularly uncomfortable. Sure it's nice to know I'm "desirable"... but I certainly don't need men's help to feel beautiful. It's annoying to always be on edge when I'm trying to be friendly to the opposite sex. I just have to keep in mind that it's not my fault if a guy likes me- it's their choice not mine.

The last thing I want to talk about today is reassurance. With the above challenges I've also been reassured about how strong minded I've grown. It's not until you're tested in the real world do you have an idea of how much you've grown from your past experiences and how strong you've really become. It's nice to know that I didn't go through what I did for no reason at all. I've learned and I'm extremely grateful for everything.

"Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt