Monday, May 14, 2012

4.55 A J-O-B + Axia Restaurant & Bar

It feels like I haven't blogged in forever! I have been busy though because... I finally got a job! I work full-time at a produce factory. The only thing is, I work graveyard shifts. But it works out because I'm a night owl anyway. I basically chop fruits and veggies, score cantaloupes, and package them. Although far from being glamorous, it's a pretty relaxed environment, and there are a ton of nice people working there... well, except for this one girl. She's not particularly mean to me or anything, she's just one of those people I have a gut feeling about. I've learned to trust my own instincts when it comes to judging a person's character. I used to think it was unnecessary to "judge" people because I always thought that one should never judge a book by it's cover. Then through my own experiences, I learned that sometimes you don't actually have to know somebody to have an idea of what kind of person they are. In this case, just through observation I knew immediately that she was no good. You know, the type of person who are only super friendly with people who will benefit them, yet ignores and avoids people they don't find "worth" knowing. But eh, it's all good. She can continue to limit herself to a little box for all I care. It doesn't affect me one bit. Life is way too short to be bothered by something as small as this. Better to stay away than to be lead astray ^^

Anyway, the good thing about working at a produce company is that I get to sharpen my knife/kitchen skills. All those years helping my mom out in the kitchen finally have paid off. If I didn't have any kitchen skills I would probably be slow as a turtle haha. This job is something I'm only doing for now. I still have my whole life ahead of me and a lot of thinking to do on what I actually want to do for the rest of my life.

Now that I have a job, I can finally plan out my goals, pay off my student loans, and have a little bit leftover on the side to spend without feeling guilty about it every time I do hehe.

My family and I celebrated Mother's Day early on Saturday because we figured that restaurants would be packed on Sunday. We decided to try out this restaurant, Axia, in Erin Mills since I read a few good reviews about it. It looked interesting enough, plus it seemed to have a good variety of Asian cuisine.

The decor and atmosphere was generally nice... although the thing that bothered me was that the chairs in the restaurant were not consistent. There had several different style chairs actually, and I don't think it's suppose to be intentional... and if it is, it's poorly done. I particularly didn't like the ones we sat on either because it was literally like a lawn chair with some cushions. The service was nice and we only waited 10-15min for out food- just as the menu states.

To start, Korean-style calamari. It wasn't crispy though and I found the taste to be only okay.

General Tao chicken. This was delicious.

Beef Teriyaki. A bit too flavourful- or "salty" as N.Americans would say.

Pad Thai. My mom loves this dish in general. She found this one to be a bit salty as well.

Not too much to choose from the dessert section. We got fried banana with ice cream (I forgot to take a picture).

The drive, the food... both not really worth it to me to visit this restaurant again. Decor is also something I pay a lot of attention to, and unfortunately they lacked that when it came to the chairs and some inconsistencies with the dessert menus being missing on some of the tables. The outside looked fantastic though so I give them credit for that. I really hope they get it together with their chairs... because honestly, the lawn chair I was sitting on was total crap.

Along with treating my mom out for food, we also got her a hanging flower basket. We knew out mom would enjoy that more than fresh cut flowers. Making the front of the house pretty is better than flowers dying a week later haha. I'm so thankful for my mom. I really appreciate everything that she does for our family. Happy Belated Mommy's Day to all the mom's out there. I hope everyone celebrated with their moms. 

What did you do for Mother's Day?

"If I never met you, I wouldn't like you. If I didn't like you, I wouldn't love you. If I didn't love you, I wouldn't miss you. But I did, I do, and I will." -Unknown

1 comment:

LittoMokaa said...

Yay congrats for the job! :D Those flowers are lovely!