Tuesday, April 3, 2012

4.46 Advanced Screening of Bully + Mail Call

My sister got some advance screening tickets to see the preview of the movie Bully- a documentary on bullying.

Taken from the site: "Over 13 million American kids will be bullied this year, making it the most common form of violence experienced by young people in the nation. The new documentary film BULLY, directed by Sundance and Emmy-award winning filmmaker, Lee Hirsch, brings human scale to this startling statistic, offering an intimate, unflinching look at how bullying has touched five kids and their families.

BULLY is a beautifully cinematic, character-driven documentary. At its heart are those with huge stakes in this issue whose stories each represent a different facet of America’s bullying crisis. Filmed over the course of the 2009/2010 school year, BULLY opens a window onto the pained and often endangered lives of bullied kids, revealing a problem that transcends geographic, racial, ethnic and economic borders. It documents the responses of teachers and administrators to aggressive behaviors that defy “kids will be kids” clich├ęs, and it captures a growing movement among parents and youths to change how bullying is handled in schools, in communities and in society as a whole.

Parents play a vital role in supporting their kids, promoting upstander rather than bystander behavior, and teaching and modeling empathy in the home."

The screening was at TIFF Bell Lightbox on King Street West.

They gave out free t-shirts.

After the movie was done, there was a panel which included the Ontario Minister of Education, Kids Help Phone, and the director of the film- Lee Hirsch (arrow indicates where he is). MTV was hosting.

The film was very moving. I got all choked up and teary eyed. It's definitely a message that should be spread across all provinces and all over the world. It's disappointing that it got an R-rating in the States... I'm glad at the very least that it got a PG rating in Canada (a G in Quebec).

My family took part in Earth Hour. I actually took a shower by candlelight and surprisingly it wasn't that bad.

Look at the little bugger.

Mail Call~

So I haven't done one of these in a while right? Well that's because freebies have slowed down which will definitely be reflected in this post. Free is free though, and I'll be happy if I just get one.

This was the $10 Walmart giftcard I got for doing the Ontario Health Survey.

Freeman giveaway. Even though I managed to get 16 entries and my sister only got 1, she won. She did share a mask with me though so that was nice of her =D

I'm pretty sure this is the fourth Reactine sample I've gotten. 

Hugo BOSS perfume sample. It's kind of a pathetic sample, but hey oh well.

This was a great freebie- a full sized Vaseline bottle.

My mom is happy anytime I present her with free food.

My brother loves oatmeal. But can't you just make normal oatmeal and add chocolate chips yourself?

I'm kind of excited to try this even though I'm not a fan of tea.

I think I'll be passing this onto my mom since she loves Lipton green tea.

Combination skin is totally me. We'll see how it goes.

"The secret of happiness is to admire without desiring." -Francis Herbert Bradley 

No comments: